Promise it can be done, quite easily in fact.
Watch this little video to see Sky slurp up his green smoothie with a Glass Dharma straw. These straws make it possible for him to really suck without collapsing the straw, plus we banned one-use items around here (like plastic straws).
Honestly, I don’t know how I’d get the good greens into Sky or me without these things. Plus they make an awesome snack to take away the mid-afternoon hunger slump.
If you or your kids aren’t drinking green smoothies because they sound gross, you’ve gotta try my fail-proof sweet green smoothie recipe below. It’s totally adjustable to your fruit preferences – just stick to these few overall concepts.
Sweet Green Smoothie Recipe / Guidelines
1) The Greens – if you are a total skeptic, start with baby spinach. And one day, you can graduate to kale.
TIP: get a bag of pre-washed baby spinach or kale and put it in the freezer. This keeps it crisp and ready for the blender forever.
2) It’s all about the Bass – yup, get a good creamy base that is going to neutralize the bitterness. Bananas are my go-to. Pears, peaches, and apples also work, but not as well IMHO. Keep some chunks of banana in the freezer so they are always on the ready, and to really get your smoothie cold.
3) Cross Cancel – I really love to hide any hint of lawn mower juice, so I go the extra step and add frozen pineapple which cancels out any last leafy taste.
4) The Liquid – oftentimes I am too lazy to get coconut water so I just use water. Plus it saves on calories and cost.
5) The Muscle – I use this vegan protein powder that derives its protein from organic beans, plants & seeds. It has a delicious (all natural) vanilla flavor. Again, my smoothies are yummy, and there’s a reason for that.
6) Add Some Color – throw in your favorite berries or fruit for more sweetness and to cover any green color if you think that will derail this whole effort. (I worship raspberries, and blueberries are the bomb too.)
Then blend away!!
Share with us your favorite ways to make a green smoothie in the comments, or if you tried the above and liked it!