Fear not if the calendar is cranking ahead faster than your brain. We have a creative list of things for your mama that are not only green, but they can be done last minute and so no one is the wiser (well, then again, it is mom, but she’ll get over it).
The general concept is gifting an experience or something meaningful over something that will collect dust or just take up space. No one needs more shhttufff in their lives. We are packed to the brim.
Ya see, no one wants more stuff, or the obligation to put it out, wear it, or certainly dust it.
Instead, make it a day that’s good for your mama and good for Ma’ Earth…
Here are some ideas for you… so hop on the phone and make it happen, create your e-card (my favorites are these hilarious ones) and let her know how much you wuv your mommy!!
- A gift certificate to dine somewhere she wouldn’t normally take herself, or even a gift certificate to some culinary lessons where she can learn to make something delicious
- A massage / spa day (especially if she isn’t the type to spend money pampering herself)
- Plant a tree (or her favorite flower) in either your name or her name, and send pics of how it is growing each spring and let her know you are thinking of her
- Cook her a meal if you are local (we have a great seasonal meal recipe for you that’s totally unique and fun)
- The gift of time! If you live close enough to your mama, spend some of the day with her. And if you’re feeling extra generous with your time, go on a trip together!
But what if you really wanna send flowers?
Well, one thing NOT to do is send hothouse flowers. Yes I know it’s tempting, but they actually have a large carbon footprint (nearly 80% of cut flowers are grown in greenhouses in South America and then shipped in refrigerated trucks and barges to the US)— and what’s the point — they die in a few days anyway! A good alternative is an Organic Bouquet if you really gotta send flowers. I’ve used them and liked what I saw (that was sent). Also, they have a nice array of plants which are nice because at least they stick around for a while.
Let us Know!
Other ideas? Share with us! I haven’t gotten my mom anything yet so I need more ideas! (Err, um, Mom I guess the gig is up because of course you ARE reading this, right? ☺)