Dreading spending hundreds on a stylish maternity wardrobe?
Pregnancy is a time when a lot of us go green, but there’s no need to sacrifice your look, or your budget, because of your bulging belly.
Maternity Stylin’ on the Cheap
Why this Matters
- Women spend an average of $700 on maternity clothing – “smart shopping” can save you a bundle.
- Production of new clothing takes a big environmental toll, from natural resource extraction, to manufacturing, dying, packing, shipping… you get it.
- Thinking creatively will make your outfits more unique and sassy- and green fashion is always in style!
On a personal note
Cricket the Corgi is a stylish girl – so much so that during the shoot she was sporting one of my bib necklaces for attention. [Check her out!]
Ready to Try?
- Watch the episode to get great tips on sharp green-preggy styles!
- Shop your local thrift and consignment shops – you might even find some specifically for maternity wear.
- Nothing local? A list of links to pre-owned, consignment and even rental maternity clothes with excellent prices on items and shipping.
- Scour Ebay for your “gotta-have-it” preggy fashions – not only is pre-worn better for the earth, but it’s MUCH easier on your wallet.
A Deeper Dig
Get the skinny on trashing textiles with this great infographic made up of stats from the EPA’s 1,500 person survey.
Our Fresh Pick
As our style expert Nicole reminds us in the episode, bring the attention up to the face. We are crushing hard-core on this gorgeous piece from Raven + Lily, made from melted bullet casings by Ethiopian women ($58.20).
Did you know?
Babies of both sexes are known to masturbate in utero, but boys are the only ones who can be caught while aroused on the sonogram.