Is your sunscreen doing more harm than good?
We all know that sunscreen is important when basking in the glorious summer sun, but it turns out commercial sunscreens contain some shady ingredients. Learn what to look for to keep you and your kidlets protected from harsh rays and nasty chems.
Safer Sunning With Mineral Sunscreen
Why this matters
- Of the 15 FDA-approved sunscreen ingredients, 9 are known endocrine disruptors – which can cause all kinds of health problems.
- 5,000 tons of sunscreen go into our oceans each year,causing coral bleaching that is killing off very important (and beautiful!) eco-systems.
- Your kids are extra sensitive to chems and sunburn, so let’s make sure they’ve got protection from both.
On a personal note
We shot this video shortly after the birth of Baby Sky, which is why it looks like I am still pregnant. 🙂 Anywho, the situation with sunscreen becomes more important if you are pregnant / breastfeeding / applying to small children, but regardless of your breeding status, why would you want dangerous chemicals in your blood stream?
Ready to try?
- Watch the episode for a candid interview with Suntegrity founder, Tricia Trimble and find out how ditching shady sunscreens can make your skin glow.
- Look for a zinc-oxide based, “physical” sunscreen – and avoid oxybenzone and fragrances.
- Check out the newly updated EWG Safer Sunscreen Guide to see what your sunscreen scores.
A Deeper Dig
Wanna know more about what’s really going into those chemical sunscreens and what they do to your body? Check out EWG’s “The Problem with Chemical Sunscreens”.
The “5-in-one” Moisturizing Facial Sunscreen from Suntegrity is a huge fave over here (for JenB’s mom as well!), with 5 different shades to best compliment each special skin-tone.
Did You Know?
The dose of vitamin D from 10 minutes in the sun fights vitamin deficiencies and boosts the happy hormone serotonin that fries depression and carb-cravings?
PS: Extra concerned about your kiddos? Good thinking! According to the EWG, these are the 11 kid sunscreens to keep out of your shopping cart:
- Banana Boat Clear UltraMist Kids Max Protect & Play Continuous Spray Sunscreen, SPF 110
- Coppertone Kids Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70
- Coppertone Kids Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
- Coppertone Kids Wacky Foam Foaming Lotion Sunscreen, SPF 70+
- Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70+
- Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
- Equate Kids Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
- Kroger Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70
- Kroger Kids Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70
- Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Beach & Pool Sunscreen Spray, SPF 70+
- Up & Up Kid’s Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55